MSc in ICT Strategic ManagementBarcelona School of Management
- Master I livello
- Barcelona (Spagna)
Domande più frequenti
1. Undergraduate/bachelor's degree - Applicants shall have an undergraduate/bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with an excellent academic record. - Applicants should either have finished their undergraduate degree or expect to finish by the time of entry to the programme.
The strategic importance of information and communication technologies in the growth and development of all companies has become more visible with the huge expansion and usage of Internet, the convergence of technologies and the availability of a whole new generation of personal devices.
This means that there is a growing demand for specialists who can understand the strategic importance of information and communication technologies in building a firm's competitive advantage. Financial Services, Energy, Health or Transportation, are just a few examples of industries that have become intensive users of ICTs, and that need well trained professionals able to understand both the business and the technology requirements of a sound strategy.
The MSc in ICT Strategic Management is delivered by leading faculty in the areas of Technology and Management as recognized by international rankings such as the Shangai Ranking 09 and the top Tilburg Economics ranking 08.
This master has been approved as an Officially Recognised Master by the National Agency for Quality Assessment and Accreditation (ANECA). It is in the process of getting the final verification of the Universities Advisory Board.
The classes of this master will be held in English.
The MSc in ICT Strategic Management aims to equip young professionals with business-oriented capabilities needed to succeed in the highly competitive professional world taking profit of huge amounts of information generated in a continuous basis in many processes and managing it in a very efficient way to impact in the company strategy and benefits.
This fifteen-month programme provides students with both the theoretical and practical skills needed to enter the professional world with great confidence and success. The programme includes a mandatory period of practicum in a highly qualified company planned from the first term. The Master merges theoretical and practical abilities in this long internship period as part of it, allowing the use of this professional environment as the most convenient framework for developing the final thesis. It brings together leading faculty, multidisciplinary and international mix of students, a flexible practical and pragmatic approach to management as a transversal attitude along the business.
The programme lasts four terms and students take a total of nineteen courses during the first three terms. There are two starting itineraries running in parallel and recommended for each of the two main profiles (business/economics and engineering/science) sharing a common course introducing the knowledge economy. The second and third terms provide a set of tools and strategic management courses. The last term does not include formal courses to allow a full/part time internship combined with the development of the MSc thesis. Apart from these courses, students have access to joint activities organized by the Barcelona School of Management including company presentations, seminars and other professionally-oriented events.
The programme is aimed at dual profiles: those with a business and economics background who wish to enhance their skills in the application of advanced technologies, and those with a computer science or engineering background, including maths and physics degrees, who wish to gain understanding of ICT management processes in the business arena. The blending between business and engineering makes the experience in class unique as students learn and develop management skills through the ongoing exchange of experiences in a diverse and multicultural environment.
An important part of the programme is the development of an ICT project in a leading company. During the last term, a three-to-six-month internship period is granted to all the students in the programme.
The classes of this master will be held in English.
The structure of the MSc in ICT Strategic Management starts with two parallel tracks (Ia and Ib) followed by a set of mandatory subjects, including an internship and a final thesis in a business area that permit the student to focus their master in the direction of their choosing.
Courses per quarter:
- First Quarter (20 ECTS)
Ia: Management for engineers/maths.
Accounting and Finance Management
Ib: ICT skills for business/economists.
ICT sector and value chains
Networking services and infrastructures
Information Systems and business intelligence
Supply Chain Management and Technology
Information Technology for Marketing
Management Science and Business Information Systems
Enterprise Resource Planning systems for Business
Knowledge Management Systems
Business Change Management
Entrepreneurship/Technology and innovation management
E-Business Technology and Management
Practicum in a leading company
MSc final thesis and defence
Cursos por trimestre:
Primer trimestre (20 ECTS)
- Gestión para Ingenieros/Matemáticos
- Gestión Estratégica
- Gestión de Marketing
- Gestión de Contabilidad y Finanzas
- Gestión de Operaciones
- Técnicas/Habilidades TIC para Empresarios/Economistas.
- Gestión de Proyectos
- Sector TIC y Cadenas de Valor
- Servicios e Infraestructuras de Redes
- Sistemas de Información e Inteligencia Empresarial
- Economía del Conocimiento
- Gestión y Tecnología de la Cadena de Subministro
- Tecnología de la Información para el Marketing
- Sistemas de Información Empresarial y de Gestión de la Ciencia
- Sistemas de Planificación de Recursos Empresariales
- Sistemas de Gestión del Conocimiento
- Estrategia Tecnológica
- Cambio Organizacional Empresarial
- Emprendeduría/Gestión de la Tecnología y la Innovación
- Tecnología y Gestión del e-Business
- Prácticas en una organización pionera
- Proyecto final del máster y defensa
The MSc in ICT Strategic Management students are required to do a 12-24 week internship during the last part of the programme. Students are placed in organizations and institutions based on their career interests, and are given assignments and projects of significant responsibility under the guidance and mentorship of a tutor.
The internship, including or not mobility, may be coordinated with the master thesis.
This type of project-based learning is a crucial component of the programme, as it gives students the opportunity to develop in a leading company an ICT project to enhance many professional skills. In addition, the internship experience leads to professional connections that are helpful for the future professional orientation.
Fees and financing
Price: 14.950,00 €
The total cost of programme fees may be divided into the following payments:
- Payment of 30% of fees before 30/6/2011. In this case participants will be eligible for our Netbook special offer
- Payment of 35% of fees before the start of the programme
- Payment of the remaining 35% before the start of the second academic year
UPF scholarships for students graduating in 2011 with the best academic records
IDEC and the UPF are providing a scholarship to UPF students graduating after 2011 for the Master's in the Strategic Management of ICTs.
Value: the scholarship consists of 25% of the registration fees for the programme.
Procedure: once registered on the programme, candidates must fill in the online scholarship application form and provide a certified academic record.
The Scholarship programme includes aids that cover up to 20% of the total programme fees.
There is also a special scholarship for students of the Pompeu Fabra University that covers up to 25% of the total programme fees.
These aids will be awarded on academic merit, although financial need may also be considered. Decisions on financial aid are an integral part of the admission process. It is not possible to grant tuition exemptions after the beginning of the academic year.
Scholarships and discounts are not cumulative.
· 1st deadline: 1st June Resolution: 10th June
2nd deadline: 1st September Resolution: 10th September
60% of the scholarships will be awarded in the first round and the rest will be distributed in the second round.
As can be seen in the above chart, the sooner candidates submit their complete application and are admitted, the greater the chances of being awarded a scholarship.
Admission requirements and registration
Please make sure your application meets the following criteria:
- Undergraduate/bachelor's degree
- Applicants shall have an undergraduate/bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with an excellent academic record.
- Applicants should either have finished their undergraduate degree or expect to finish by the time of entry to the programme.
- All students whose first language is not English must be able to provide recent evidence that their spoken and written command of the English language is adequate. Students must have obtained a TOEFL score of 235 or higher on the Computer Based Test, 575 or higher on the written test, or 100 or higher on the Internet test.
- Other ways to prove a sufficient level of English are a CAE (Certificate in Advanced English) of the Cambridge University at Level C1, or a British Council IELTS with a grade of at least 6.5.
If you believe you do not need these tests (for instance your native language is English, or your undergraduate degree was in an English University), please give an explanation in your application.