Comunicazione, conflitti e coperazione internazionaleUNIVERSITÀ DELLA SVIZZERA ITALIANA
Chiedi il prezzo
- Mendrisio (Svizzera)
The objective of the course is to provide students with an introduction to communication issues in situations of armed conflict. Aspects of communication as an instrument of conflict analysis and peace promotion will be presented. Key communication challenges of international cooperation, humanitarian and diplomatic organizations involved in conflict resolution processes will be examined.
Upon completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Identify the main communication challenges related to today’s armed conflicts
- Understand how international cooperation, humanitarian and diplomatic organizations communicate in situations of armed conflict or political transition
- Understand how communication and media development can be used to promote peace and conflict transformation
Teaching Methods: This course, taught in Italian and English, will employ a variety of educational opportunities including group work, presentations, class discussions, instructor lecture, assigned readings and research.
- Why communication matters in today’s conflicts
- Communication and conflict analysis
- The media as agents of peace?
- Transparency, access to information and conflict transformation
- Tools of institutional communication in international cooperation: diplomacy and mediation
- Tools of institutional communication in international cooperation: humanitarian organisations
- Wrap-up and Evaluation
Each student will be assessed through work they do throughout the course (30%) and an individual exam (70%) held during the examination period. The final exam is an individual written, open book, exam. It is composed of case studies and short answers. 30% of the examination takes place in class, during the semester, and is composed of oral evaluation.