Master in Middle Eastern Studies - MIMESASERI - Alta Scuola di Economia e Relazioni Internazionali
- Master I livello
- Crediti: 60
Domande più frequenti
· Quali sono gli obiettivi del corso?
The program aims to offer solid historical, political and institutional perspectives of the current domestic, regional and international dynamics affecting the stability of the region, as well as a critical outlook on current dynamics of the region and debates over the Middle East. For this reason, the program combines theoretical modules (ranging from the foundation and the history of the Middle East, the development of institution and power dynamics as well as the characteristic of Islamic law and economy) with a specific and multidisciplinary focus on the contemporary period. The analysis of the current dynamics, debates and most important topics regarding the role of the Middle East at a regional and international level, as well as dedicated modules on its sub-regions and their peculiarities, is thus strengthened by the theoretical basis provided during the first part of the program.
· A chi è diretto?
The Master’s program is designed for : - Young graduates throughout the world with a strong interest in the wider Middle East and willing to specialize their competences. - Executives and professionals who aspire to deepen their knowledge on Middle East socio-cultural peculiarities and its political-economic dynamics. Graduates from a wide range of backgrounds (including economics, history, humanities, political science and persons who already have a professional background in journalism, consultancies, private companies or NGOs) will all find topics relevant; from deepening their knowledge of the geopolitical dynamics linked to the region to understanding the characteristics and the evolution of an important and emerging regional market.
- Completion of an undergraduate degree, obtained after a minimum of 3 years of study (180 ECTS) is a mandatory requirement. - Good knowledge of English (English certificates are not compulsory but considered a preferencial requirement).
Master in Middle Eastern Studies - MIMES
· In cosa si differenzia questo corso dagli altri?
An intensive, multidisciplinary program: MIMES program foster multidimensional training and cross-fertilization, integrating scientific methodologies and operative competences. High quality training: the Master in Middle Eastern Studies's international Faculty is composed by high level scholars, researchers and professionals from Europe, US and the Middle East. An international environment: students from all over the world. The program is completed with a internship in Italy or abroad within an organization whose mission and activities are consistent with the Master's program.
Cosa impari in questo corso?
MIMES is articulated in five complementary levels, fostering multidimensional training and cross-fertilization, integrating scientific methodologies and operative competences.
1st level – Propaedeutic Phase: history, power and institution. The conceptual foundation of the Middle East
The first level provides students of different academic backgrounds with a broad knowledge of the Middle East, the rise of Islam and its characteristic, with an accurate analysis of the historical evolution of the region and its role within the international system. A dedicated course will offer a linguistic analysis of the political and juridical terminology and a glossary in Arabic.
- Methodological premise: discourses and debates on the Middle East
- History of the Middle East
- Religion, society and thought in the Islamic Middle East
- Islamic law and economy
- Study of political and juridical terminology - glossary in Arabic
- Middle East within the 20th century international order
2nd level – In-depth Analytical Phase: sub-regional contexts
Students, during the second level, acquire a detailed knowledge of different sub-regions of the wider Middle East, focusing on their peculiarities and connections with regional and international geopolitical trends. The program encourages the adoption of a comparative methodology, emphasizing the conceptual dichotomy continuity/change, within an historical-political narrative.
- Sub-Saharan Africa
- South-West Asia and the Gulf
- Central-Southern Asia
3rd level – Thematic and Contemporary Issues
During the final class term, the program offers a wide portfolio of specializing courses on the most relevant political, geoeconomic and security events and dynamics contributing to the current Middle Eastern unbalances. The program aims to underline in particular the role of the region within the larger international system, and the lesson learnt during the post –Cold War period.
- Politics in contemporary Middle East and the current International Relations context
- Global security: jihadism, violent activism, conflicts and nuclear proliferation
- Post-conflict institution-building and human security
- Gender, ethno-religious diversity and pluralism in the Middle East
- Energy and geopolitics of resources
- Contemporary economic trends
4th level – Research Project
Students are required to develop a personal research project on a topic related to Middle Eastern affairs, under the supervision of a MIMES professor and/or a professional from a partner institution. It is suggested to connect the research project to the internship experience.
5th level – Internship
The Master’s program is completed with an internship in Italy or abroad within one of the ASERI partner institutions or other entities whose mission and activities are consistent with the Master’s program. As an alternative, students who do not carry out an internship may choose to attend an Arabic language course. In any case, the course will have to be positively evaluated by the Master’s Direction (additional fee depending on the organizing institution may occur).
- From January to July: full time lessons at ASERI, Milan
- From July to December: Internship or Arabic language course, everywhere in the world
- From July to December: Research Project (under the supervision of one of the ASERI professors)